Friday, February 5, 2010

Stupid flat tire!

So I had some free time today so figured I would go pedal my bike on some dirt. First time on my mountain bike in the dirt since early November. It was much needed. Pulled out the Vicious as I am over the Giant coastie bullshit after riding it in Leadville. Just not feeling it.

Headed over to the big green hill for a spin. Felt good on the climb to the top, the descent blazed by even though I was wishing for a bit bigger gear. Then over to Dakota Ridge. Cleaned Zorro up to the stairs easily so I tried to clean a big chunk of the stairs in a big and sketchy move.

Psssss is all I hear. Fuck! No tube, no pump, not even a wrench to take off the wheel if someone were to offer me a tube, which not a sole did. Rolled down zorro on the flat like I normally do no big deal. Get to the bottom and the tire came off of the rim and was all over the place. So I wrapped the tube and tire around the frame and continued pedaling along on the rim.

Then the tube gets wrapped around the non-drive side crank arm and stops me in my tracks. Unwind that mess and then proceed to tie my tire to the frame with existing tube as my tie down, now that it's ripped in half. Pedal the next 2ish miles on the rim in an uneventful manner.

Roll to Lubes' house to borrow his chainwhip so I can change my rear cog. I also borrowed some files and filed down all of the burrs on the rim from thrashing it on the trail. Cog would not budge.

To the house I went, put a new tube and newer tire on the rear. Normally have to run a 2.1 due to clearance issues, but tried for a 2.3 instead. Holy shit was it a hassle. Tried to break the cog loose by doing skids and track stands and generally trying to knock it off. Not happening. Broke Lubes' whip, I'll get you a new one btw.

Headed to the shop where it took two guys and a 4ft cheater bar to break it loose. I wish I had a 17t to put on, but had to settle for the 18t. It's gotta feel better then that easy gear I have been running.

Now all I have to do is bolt on the rear wheel, right. Well that 2.3 turns out to be a bitch. Have to run the rear wheel all the way out in the drops Now the chainstay length is like 20", retarded long. Then the rear triangle is soooo tight that there is about 1.5mm clearance. I hate this bike. I don't know what it was designed for, but straight up mountain biking it was not. I suppose it would be a perfect monstercross bike with the minimal clearance it has. All I have to say is I hope I don't get a flat on the trail, 'cause that rear end with that tire is a pain in the ass. I guess I forgot how bad it was since I haven't changed anything on that bike in over a year and a half. All I know is that was the most pissed off and frustrated I have been in a long time. Anyway, now she's ready to roll and I'm over it.

Can't wait for the Wolfhound. Another year and I may have it. I'm out.


It will resemble this but be even more badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I dont know if i should laugh or cry! The thought of you passing someone on a fixie on a rim only makes me smile (cause i know you prob. did!)but seein you pissed and frustrated on a bike ride is no good! ;) hope to ride soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least 'your' tools'll be on the ride with you tomorrow.
    Badder than that Wolf will be the sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know you are a hill billy fixie rider when....

    ReplyDelete