Wednesday, September 23, 2009

SSWC 09

WOW!!!!! People riding bikes of the one speed variety always makes for a nice day. Especially when they're were over 1,200 riders. Rode around town a bit before the official start just to see what I could see. Ran in to the WV night club as well as numerous people that I have ridden without around this state. Lined up in the front 75 people, but the people I was behind SUCKED!, absolutely no handling skills. So the parade through town was nice and sketchy, once the uphill began I was able to reel off a shit ton of folks. Pedal pedal then feet on the bottle cages was the tactic to go as fast as I could into the singletrack. Rolled with Bucky for a bit, until the entrance to the hike-a-bike. Was in a fast enough group that I was able to pedal all the way to the true hike-a-bike. By the time we hit the ridge I had a nice separation from the pack I hiked with and reeled in about 15 riders. Got slowed up by one dude who wouldn't move over, but whatever, he finished behind me.

Descended raider ridge in a full on sketchy ass descent. I was faster than a few ssers even though I couldn't coast and it was steeeeeeep and looooose. The bummer is I had to stop to pee, the longest pee ever, and gave up half of the places I had just gained.

Ran the next 10 miles or so just cruising along at my own pace, casually. A few would come and go as I walked up totally rideable sections. Then came the second hike-a-bike and it crushed me. I'm so glad they were handing out bacon and twinkies along with shots of tequila, whiskey and beer as a chaser. The twinkie and bacon was just what I needed. Grabbed a few spots back on all out descents.

Thats when the cramp monster reared it's ugly head. Just keep it moving and don't give up a spot. That's when I see this hottie coming up behind. It makes me feel much better to stay in front of someone. She rode my wheel for about 5 miles and wouldn't pass. I was blocking the head wind, so she followed even on the little gravel descent.

Had nothing in my legs as I got to the last climb, and she walked by me. At least I followed her to the finish. She finished 9th female and was the former 24hr ss world champion, Christina Begy. Not to bad of a place to finish considering it was 22+ miles with over 3,000' of climbing and riding a rigid fixed gear. Ended up riding with most of the women in the top 9 before finishing and they all were ripping.

Ended up 1st fixed gear, I know there were at least 3- all with me, and top 200 overall. Another great day on the bicycle. Next year will be in New Zealand and hopefully I will be on a new coasty bike by then.

I'll give a recap with some pictures for the last week. Sorry for the lac of pics as my camera jammed and wouldn't work for most of the trip. More later.

All of the pictures are under slakass pictures under this is where I may be.

2 comments:

  1. 1st place fixie...Whoot, Whoot...congrats little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Single speeds are awesome and luckily didn't appeal to the robbers who broke into my house yesterday.

    ReplyDelete