Saturday, October 10, 2009

BRRR!!!!!



All I know is that a cold front was coming in today and I was gonna ride in it no matter what. No bitching out due to the cold, snow, rain or whatever else we me get. Hit up Spike friday night and he was game. Packed every cold weather item that I may possibly need. A 9am ride time in BC was sure to be cold. They were calling for 15 degrees but was gonna feel like 8 degrees.

Woke at 7 and out the door at 7:30. A brisk morning to say the least. Hit the highway and it was an ice rink. Lots and lots of wrecks, just coast through it and don't hit your brakes. Was definitely wishing I had put on my studded tires on yesterday. Whatever, made it with only a little sketchiness. They ended up closing 285 right after I got through, due to extremely icy roads

Ready to roll by 9 am and it was brisk. 14 degrees and felt like it was about zero. Up sandywash we went and we both realized that we were over dressed. Stopped to shed a layer, on the new section of trail, when we ran into another dude riding bikes. Got moving again, down hill-ish and wished we hadn't shed a layer.

At the top of Baldy I decided I need to put my highly visible and well marked vest back on. Dropped baldy and about froze to death. I went as fast as I could while still having functional extremities. Brain freeze like crazy, my forehead was too cold. Hit the road and climbed Morrison, it wasn't quite steep or long enough to warm us up. Got to the top and had to descend shinglemill. It was the slowest either of us had ever gone down that trail. Just trying not to freeze.

Got to the cars and decided to go to Mateo's house and get the hut warmed up and to hit the pump track for a bit. I have to admit it's a great way to spend the afternoon after a good bike ride. The hut was toasty warm and the pump track was sweet.

Doing it again tomorrow with a few more folks and it's supposed to be around 30 degrees, nice and warm.

btw, I finally built up a street ride, dirt jumping bike. With two squishy gadgets. I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment