Friday, May 22, 2009

Beat Down!


top of Mt. Falconcan you see my bike, missed the switchback and away she went, about 20 yards straight off the side of the mountain. I wasn't the first to do this either, but whatcha gonna do?

Late pic update. First day off since back to Denver, so what better way to spend it then on the bike?

Left the house @ 10 this am, had plannd on waking up early, but sleeping sure was nice. Hopped on the vicious and headed out. Was hoping the coastie bike would be back in town, but not yet.

house>South Platte bike path>Bear Creek Bike path>Bear Creek State Park>through Morrison>Mt. Falcon and all of the trails up top>Lair of the Bear>up Grape Vine>Apex>Dakota Ridge>Zorro>Green Mountain>house! It was a good day!

Started out pretty chill, until I get to the base of Mt Falcon. No matter how you look at it, that trail just blows. The only thing it is good for is making you want to vomit. It's quite humbling actually. I think I'm in shape until I get to it. I would rather climb Black Mountain in Pisgah any day rather than falcon, for sure. Cruised around the top for a bit then dropped down the hill to the top of Lair of the Bear. Such a fun and fast section of singletrack. Stopped and had some snacks then let her rip. A bit down the trail I ran into Jackson and Laura. Laura on her second mtb ride and Jackson on her new el mariachi 1x9.

After leaving them descended for a bit and then hit some pavement. Climbed grapevine up to i-70 out of Idledale. What a nice and mellow pedal up the side of a mountain, partially paved and partially dirt.

Up to Lookout Mountain to the trail head of Apex. This is where it gets silly. First time on this descent, and boy is it fun. Rolled with a few different people on this one. One dude was wearing biowheels gear, but was from the Cinci store not Asheville. He was ripping right behind me when I jumped a water bar and then promptly stuffed my front wheel into a drainage ditch. Tuck and roll is all I have to say, with out even thinking about it. Hit my shoulder pretty hard but rolled to my feet and straight back on the bike. I wish I could have seen that one. We parted ways and away I went.

This is where my first ever crash induced by dog happened, and yes I was PISSED! Two dogs in the trail going in the same direction as me, slow as can be with no owner in site. Gave every command I could think of and nothing, the bell didn't work either. I get by the first one but not the second. As I go to pass the second one he nudged me to the right, into some tree branches and down I went. Tore the skin off of both palms and my left knee. When I caught up to the owner I let him know what I thought about his dogs. This coming from a person who takes his dog to work with him everyday and on lots of long bike rides, but not in the front range. Plus my dog has trail etticate (sp), and knows her commands.

The up 93 to dakota ridge trail head. Started up the climb and got introduced to the wall of shame. Yes, I had to push my bike up that stupid dirt road. Not for fatique, but it was hard to grab the bars with no skin on my palms. Rode the first section of dakota, but bailed out onto Zorro. Over to the lower section on green mountain to jewel for a slow pedal home.

Had thought it would take 7hrs and it ended up taking me 7hrs and 10min with stopping and eating ice cream on the way home. Not a bad outing at all. Was kind of bummed that I didn't get to finish with the hogback as that was my motivation all day, whatever.

Have no clue on mileage or anything bu will guess 75ish with a few fairly solid climbs. Meeting up with PBR and MGE at 5:30 in the am for another 5+ hr ride. It should be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment