Sunday, June 7, 2009

Adventures with Spike!

Headed west to meet up with some singletrack goodness. Headed out on Friday with no destination in sight. Talked with Spike on the way up and he gave the heads up on some SIK! camping spots. Got there Friday about noon and as soon as I set up the hammock I was out. I woke up 4 hours later with no motivation to ride. Made it about 3 miles before heading back to the camp. Thursday's late night riding in BC, followed by an early am packing session, combined with a 100ish mile drive created one tired critter.
Met up with Spike at 7am on Saturday for some freshies on my virgin run of Como. All I have to say is that this is the first Slatyfork-esque trails that I have ridden since I have been here. Combine the rock gardens and wet roots with the fast and flowy, black bear-esque trails, and you have some epic singletrack.
We climbed for quite a while, to 11,600ish feet actually. It was absolutely beautiful. Rode in the wind for a bit, then headed for some goodies south of Breck. This is where we ran into some snow, actually multiple feet of it. We pushed on and meandered our way off the mountain and towards town. Along the way, we found a sweet little freeride section with a couple of nice table tops, maybe Spike will send a shot of me hitting it? Once in town, nothing else to do but head up on as much trail as possible. That is, after hitting the local pump track. Not my forte, yet! Climbed up and then descended what we climbed to start the day. Ended up with 40ish miles and just under 6,000 feet of climbing with 6 1/2 hours of saddle time. An epic day for sure, can't wait for Spike fest in two weeks.
Got back in time to catch a sweet sunset and make gobs of food so I could do it all again on Sunday.
Started out on the east side of Kenosha with plans to get as close to Georgia pass as possible, didn't happen. Climbed for a bit and realized my legs were toasted. So a day of slumming was what went down.
The east side is way flowy, but I had some concerns. I broke out the coastie because it's faster, you'd think, and would be more fun, you'd think. I still ride it like the fixie and forget to coast and am clueless on how to stop it without back pedaling. Maybe one day I will learn how to ride a coastie, again. With a few consecutive big days on it, that should happen, you'd think. We shall see.
Maddie went out with me today and rocked it. She definitely made up for her lackluster effort on Thursday. We ended up with just over 30 miles in almost exactly 4 hours with a picnic in the middle. Didn't do what I had planned on doing, but it was still an awesome day on the bike.
Got back before the rain and wind hit. I had skirted the rain for 3 days and didn't want to press my luck for another one.

Add all of this together and you get one happy black and white. 'Til next time, peace.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect weekend. It was hard driving by all the mountain riding on my way to Fruita. Twas good but glad to be back and riding the local Forest goodness.

    ReplyDelete